If you’ve been following my blog for a while, you’ll notice that there’s a trend in the places I stay during my travels ~ that trend is Airbnb.
If you’ve never used Airbnb before, I can understand why you would be a bit hesitant ~ Staying in another person’s home? How weird is that? I know that I was pretty weary about it the very first time that I used it. But after many Airbnb experiences – good and not so good ~ I stand beside this travel housing choice. Keep reading to find out why..
1. It can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be ~ whether you’re looking to stay at a whole fancy home, a bedroom in a total dive or a couch in a living room, you can find it all on Airbnb. You often get what you pay for, and that’s what makes it so great. You can go cheap, reasonable or expensive.
2. There are so many unique options ~ From a shotgun style home in New Orleans and a brand new townhome in Nashville, to a couch in a second-story apartment in St. Louis and a small house boat in Marina Del Rey ~ Airbnb truly has it all. The experiences I listed above were just a few of my own, and they were all ones I will never forget, which is why Airbnb is so great ~ they make every travel experience that much more memorable.
3. You can get a true feel for the city you’re traveling to ~ During most of my travels, I’ve stayed in Airbnbs right in the heart of the cities, so that getting around is easy, and so that I can actually see what it’s like to ‘live’ in that city for a day or two. The Airbnb I stayed at in St. Louis was not located in the best part of town, as there were cops patrolling the area by the hour, but it was quite an experience and I really was able to see the good and bad side of the city. You can’t get that experience by staying in a hotel, folks. And the great thing is that you can choose a more hotel-like experience if you’re looking for something more safe and laid-back. It’s all in your hands – just check the reviews (which brings me to my next point).
4. Real people give real reviews, so you can have an idea of what the place will be like ~ After your stay, you have the opportunity to provide a review of your stay in the Airbnb. These reviews help other travelers choose whether they should stay at that particular rental or not. I always make a point to check the reviews before booking a place.
5. You can get insight from someone who actually lives there ~ Your host can be either present or not when you book your Airbnb. It truly depends on what you’d rather like. The reviews often tell you how good of a host the homeowner is/if they’re even around during your stay, so be sure to check those, and if you choose to have a present host, then you can often ask them any questions you may have about the area, which they will likely gladly answer!
As a clear advocate for Airbnb, I’d say to give it a try. Just keep in mind these few tips while choosing your ideal rental:
- Know what you’re looking for ~ great location? present host? whole house? private room?
- Read through the property’s entire description, paying special attention to your personal desired factors listed above.
- Keep an eye on fees and what the price of the rental will truly be in the end.
- Check out the reviews! Reviews will tell you A LOT about the property – read through these to get an idea of if this is the place you want to be
With these tips in mind, you are sure to have an interesting, great and certainly memorable Airbnb experience.
Ever stayed in an Airbnb? Share your thoughts and experiences in a comment below!