Hi friends –
I hope you all are staying safe & sane during these strange times.
I know everyone is going through a bunch of different emotions and changes in general, but just think, in a couple years, we’ll look back at this historic moment in time and say wow, what a time to be alive.
But if you’re like me, future thinking is not my forte.
So, I’ve really been focusing on the present. Making the most of the here and now. And one way I’m doing that is by cooking fun, new things every day. And another way I’m going to make the most of it is by sharing those meals with you all.
So, with that, this will be the first post of my ‘Quarantine Eats’ series.
Hopefully these meals give you ideas or just give you some tasty things to look at!
Quarantine Eats #1: Sweet Potato Veggie Bowl
In my opinion, this bowl throws all of the best, healthy ingredients together…
*prices may vary*
- Spinach ($1.99/bag)
- Frozen Cauliflower Rice ($1.99/bag)
- Sweet Potato (88 cents/pound)
- Red Onion ($1.18/pound)
- Canned Tomatoes (~1.00/can)
- Feta Cheese (or any cheese – optional)
- Nutritional Yeast (optional)
- Veggie Sausage (optional)
*It is truly your choice for how much of each ingredient you want in your bowl – just depends on your appetite or how many people you’re cooking for *
Follow these steps to create this super easy masterpiece:
1. Roast your sweet potatoes. Cut a medium-sized sweet potato up into small pieces. Mix in butter and other spices of your choice (anything from paprika to pepper to Southwest Chipotle spice) and then throw in the oven for 30 minutes.
2. While the sweet potatoes are baking, grill your onions and veggie sausage (or just the onions if you don’t want the sausage). Throw these on a pan with some butter and spices of your choice. Let simmer for ~5 minutes (until sausage and onions are browning).
3. A few minutes before the sweet potatoes are ready, prepare your cauliflower rice. Simply pour the amount of rice you want into a bowl & heat up in the microwave for the specified amount of time.
4. Place spinach in a bowl. Top with cauliflower rice. Once you remove the now-roasted sweet potatoes from the oven, toss those on top of the spinach & cauliflower.
5. Add the onions and veggie sausage to the bowl, along with a can of tomatoes.
6. Get creative with your toppings! I like to add Nutritional Yeast and some kind of cheese (feta, in this case).