Grilled cheese jut got a bit healthier…with cauliflower!!!
Who would have thunk that you could grill up a cauliflower patty, slap some cheese on it, and have it look (& taste) like one of the best comfort foods?
Let me break the recipe for 2 down for you:
- 2 cups frozen cauliflower rice (shred your own head of cauliflower)
- 2 eggs
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Parmesan Cheese
- More cheese (whatever you prefer on a grilled cheese)
- Any other fun grilled cheese fillings (highly recommend tomatoes, spinach, & hot sauce)
*note: the cauliflower rice we used had peppers & onions in it already b/c the store was our of regular cauli rice (hellooo pandemic) – but the peppers & onions were actually a great addition!*
& here’s how you do it:
- Heat up your cauliflower rice in the microwave (or shred your own cauliflower into cauli rice). If heating, heat longer than suggested in order to make it as dry as possible – we heated ours up for 10 minutes
- Let cauliflower rice cool for about 10 minutes. If the cauliflower rice is still wet, wrap the rice in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze it over a sink to wring out excess water
- Once water is drained, return cauliflower rice to bowl and add the eggs, onion powder, garlic powder, and parmesan cheese. Mix together
- Use a spoon to transfer 2 scoops of mixture to a skillet on medium-low heat. You’ll want the scoops to be pretty hearty & resemble either pancakes or an actual bread piece (your call!), so shape and flatten the mixture down a bit
- Grill each side of the cauliflower mixture for ~10 minutes
- Add cheese and other toppings and enjoy (probs with a fork & knife b/c this thang was messy)!
We ended up using a mix of goat cheese, mozzarella cheese, and cheddar cheese (not sure if you can consider this healthy after adding all that cheese…oops), which made for a not-so-pretty picture.
BUT it’s the taste that matters, right?
And this really did taste great, but definitely not like a regular grilled cheese.
The texture was different and the flavor was a bit blander than an actual grilled piece of bread, so I ended up dipping it in some tomato soup. Win.
Give this a try & let me know what you think in the comments below!