Chickpeas have become a new staple in our home.
So, naturally, we’ve been testing them out in different recipes.
One of the latest things we’ve created are falafel fritters!
We didn’t want to actually fry the chickpeas, so we decided to bake them instead: thus, the fritter factor (flatter to make sure we could get them crispy enough in the oven!).
Here’s what we used to make about 10 of these fritters:
- 1 can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tbsp oat flour
- A splash of lime juice
- A splash of vegetable oil
- A dash of spices (cumin, garlic powder, cayenne)
& here’s how we made ’em:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare a pan with aluminum foil & cooking spray
- Blend all ingredients together in a blender until well-mixed
- Using your hands, form mixture into pancake-like circles and place on greased pan
- Bake for ~15 minutes before flipping each of the fritters over to the other side
- Bake for another ~10 minutes before removing from oven
- Enjoy your fritters in a bowl, tortilla, or pita bread with your favorite ingredients
Above, you can see the bowl I made with my fritters: mixed veggies, tomatoes, quinoa, and hummus: yum!
Matthew made his into somewhat of a tortilla taco wrap, which he also thoroughly enjoyed.
& for leftovers, I enjoyed them as a snack topped with cheese, tomatoes & hot sauce – so good!
Ever made falafel?
How about falafel fritters?
Give them a try and let me know what you think in the comments below!